Buildings insurance

How do I find out my re-build value?

If you have had a recent valuation on your property by a surveyor, an indication will be provided on the report. Alternatively you can find out as follows:

  • Consult a chartered surveyor. (Find them through RICS website for example)
  • Look online. *These sources will not apply to properties of non-standard construction, listed properties, or properties built before 1920.
  • Consult an estate/letting agent for some comparative examples
Do you need to know who my tenants are?

No, the tenant type (working professionals, DSS, students, etc.) will help us to determine your premium, but we generally do not require the names or occupations of your tenants.

Does "Loss of Rent" cover me if my tenants do not pay their rent?

No, "Loss of Rent" is included as standard with all residential property insurance. It protects you if your property is made uninhabitable, due to one of the insured perils, such as fire or flood. Defaulted rent payments can be covered under our Legal expenses and Rent Guarantee insurance.

Can I take a policy out for a few weeks/ a month/ 6 months etc?

All new Rentguard policies run for the period of 12 months (except Legal Expenses and Rent Guarantee cover which is also available for 6 months period). However, if you already have a Rentguard policy, and would like to take out another, we can ensure that both properties have a common renewal date. This means that the premium will be pro-rata to reflect the cover dates.

A small percentage of the roof is flat, is this OK?

All underwriters require you to declare the existence of a flat roof and it is important you give us an accurate description. How this will impact your premium varies on a case to case basis.

Can I have my mortgage interest noted on the policy?

Yes, simply tell us the name of your mortgage lender, and we will note their interest on the certificate.

Can you fax my new policy details to a third party (solicitor, mortgage lender etc.)?

Yes, once the policy has been set up, at the policy holder's request, we can fax/email/post policy details to any third party required.

Will you be able to cover only the flat above a shop?

Yes, as long as the flat above has a separate entrance to the shop and there is no method of access/egress between premises,, we can cover the flat only. It is the responsibility of the policy holder to ensure that any other parts of the building are insured.

I own my home, but have lodgers, would I need a landlord policy?

No, in the case of lodgers, a Homecare Owner Occupier policy would be set up. Any lodgers must be disclosed to Rentguard at the time of taking up the policy. Our Homecare policy allows for up to 4 lodgers in any one dwelling.

My property is let through the local authority, is that okay?

Yes, there must be a tenancy agreement in place between the landlord and the local authority. It is the responsibility of the landlord to find out what type of tenants will be occupying the property (working professionals, DSS family, students etc), as this will affect your premium.

My property consists of bed-sits, does this affect my premium?

Yes you can still get a quote subject to underwriting criteria. Please note your property must meet all current local and national authority regulations governing rented accommodation

How long are quotes valid for?

We can commit to honoring quote for up to 30days. We do however make every effort to maintain all quotes previously provided although this may not always be possible.

Contents insurance

How do I work out my contents sum insured?

The contents sum insured is the total sum of all of your belongings, including carpets and curtains. Contents cover does not include fixtures and fittings, as these are covered under buildings insurance.

Accidental damage cover

Do Rentguard policies include accidental damage?

Our Landlords buildings and contents policy covers you for accidental damage to audio and audio visual units (such as television sets), and accidental breakage of fixed glass, sanitary fixtures, glass in furniture, and ceramic hobs. Our Commercial Property and Tenant Contents insurance policies include accidental damage, as standard. Accidental damage is also available for an additional premium on Home Insurance.

What does accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage cover will include any damage by external or accidental means. If your buildings insurance policy includes accidental damage, you will be covered for incidents such as putting a foot through the loft floor.

Amendments and cancellations

Will I be charged for a policy amendment?

There is no charge to make any mid-term adjustments or amendments. Simply contact our customer services department and we will be happy to help you. If you wish to increase the re-build values or make any additions or reductions to your policy, you can do so by simply contacting customer services.

My property has gone up in value so should I increase my re-build value?

If the re-sale value of your property has increased, this does not necessarily mean that the re-build value has as well. In cases like this, it is best to contact a chartered surveyor, who will be able to advise you of your rebuild value.

What do I do if my tenant type changes?

If your tenant type changes (i.e. from students to working people) you must inform Rentguard as soon as possible, as this may affect the terms of your policy. You may also be required to pay an additional premium, or be entitled to a refund, depending on the circumstances.

Can I add a name to the policy?

Yes, you are able to take out our insurance policies in multiple names.

What is the cancellations procedure and how much is the cancellation fee?

You are entitled to cancel your insurance policy at any stage during the policy term. You are entitled to a period of 14 days in which to consider the content of your insurance policy, and the extent of the cover therein. Cancellation of your policy within 14 days is therefore subject to a full refund. After 14 days, cancellation of your insurance policy will be subject to the normal terms and conditions of the policy wording.

If I cancel my direct debit with my bank, will that cancel my policy?

No. In order to cancel your policy, you need to contact Rentguard directly. Please see our contact us page for details of various contact methods.

How do I change the bank account my Direct Debit is taken from?

In order to change the bank details of your Direct Debit, you will need to contact Rentguard directly. Please see our contact us page for details of various contact methods.

Insurers / underwriters

Who are the underwriters?

Rentguard policies are underwritten by leading UK insurance companies including Brit, Legal & General, XL Catlin, NIG, Ageas, AXA, and Lloyd’s of London.


I have a leak - how do I make a claim?

If you have suffered loss or damage, and are looking to make a claim, a claim form will be sent out to you upon your request. This will need to be completed in full and sent back to us, accompanied by a minimum of two detailed estimates. Claims must be reported no longer than 30 days after the incident.

Can I get work done straight away if I have suffered loss/damage to my property?

Only emergency work to prevent further loss can be undertaken, for example, boarding up a broken window. Under no circumstances should full repairs be carried out without our prior consent.

Payment details

What are the payment options for placing policies?

You can pay for your Rentguard policy by Credit/Debit Card, or Direct Debit. Rentguard agents have the additional option of setting up an account with us, paying for all business on a monthly basis.

Can I pay monthly?

Yes, our Direct Debits are subject to a 10% premium charge, and the instalments are spread over ten months.

Is there an extra charge if I pay by Credit/Debit Card?

There is no additional charge if you pay by Credit/Debit Card.

I have two (or more) properties insured with you, do I receive a discount?

No, we can offer a block scheme if you place five or more policies with us at one time, but not on two policies.

Unoccupied properties

How long can I leave the property unoccupied?

Your property can be left unoccupied for 30 days between lets, before need to contact Rentguard to inform us of the change in occupancy.

My property is currently unoccupied. Does full cover still apply?

If your property is unoccupied and suitably furnished for normal habitation, full cover will apply. However depending on the type of policy, length of the unoccupancy, if the property is unfurnished, or undergoing any structural work, cover may be limited during that period.

I have a second home that is unoccupied for six months of the year; do I need Holiday Home or Unoccupied insurance cover?

If you have a second home, or holiday home within the UK, it can be insured as a UK Holiday Home, under the Landlords Insurance policy. The property must be furnished for normal habitation and visited on a regular basis by the owner(s) or their guest(s).


Does the premium include Insurance Premium Tax (IPT)?

Yes. The premium is calculated including Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) at 12%.

What is FLEA, and what cover is included in FLEA?

FLEA cover stands for Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Earthquake and Aircraft. If you are covered for FLEA only, it means that these are the only perils covered, however public liability is still included.

Is the policy index linked?

Yes. At each renewal, your building sum will be reviewed, and increased in accordance with the percentage index linking, in line with inflation. This ensures that as it becomes more expensive to rebuild your property, your insurance is sufficient to cover it.

Why has my premium gone up from last year?

If you have renewed a Rentguard policy, your premium will have increased from last year. This is because the building sum will have been index linked (see previous question).

I have a Landlord Insurance policy, but I'm moving into the property myself. Will this affect my policy?

It is possible to live in your policy between lets, and this will not affect the validity of your insurance. If moving in permanently you would need to change to Home Insurance and we would need to be contacted accordingly.

I have had one claim for £1500 this year. Will this affect my premium?

Possibly, depending on the nature of the claim, your premium may be loaded. Please ensure that Rentguard is aware of any claims you have made in the last five years, as the validity of your insurance could be at stake.

If I sell my property, can I transfer the same policy to another insured address?

No. If you have sold one property and purchased another we cannot transfer the policy over. You will need to cancel the original policy and set up a new policy for the new property.

Does my insurance cover me for injury suffered by my tenants in my property?

Yes. Legal liability for injury to others or damage to their property arising from ownership of the building is covered. The indemnity limit is £2 million(£5 m for residential landlord policy). This is distinct from the contents section which covers legal liabilities in respect of occupancy of a building.

How long will I have to wait for my policy documents to be sent to me by post?

We put your documents in the post within 24 hours of receiving the quote so please allow between 2 to 3 days for the documents to arrive to your home address as that's our standard time.

Get in touch

Tel 0800 033 4111

New Business Enquiries and Quoteline

Mon – Thu 9:00am – 7:00pm

Fri 9:00am – 6:00pm

Sat9:00am – 5:00pm
Tel 020 8587 1060

Customer Services and General Enquiries

Mon – Fri 8:00am – 5:30pm

Sat9:00am – 4:00pm
E-mail info@rentguard.co.uk
Copyright © 2001-2018 Rentguard Limited is registered in England and Wales under number 9125814 and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. The registered
office is 27 Great West Road, Brentford, London, TW8 9BW Web design and services by Touch 10 Systems